Cork the City
Facts and Figures
Cork City is home to interesting facts and below are the top five facts about Cork:
1) Cork County is the largest county throughout the Republic of Ireland. Cork City extends close to 4000 hectares, whereas Cork county is just under 8000 square kilometres in area.
2) The population of Cork is 519,032 - (2011 census).
3) The Irish name for Cork is ‘Corcaigh’ meaning ‘a marsh’. Cork City began on an island in the swampy estuary of the River Lee and expanded over these marshes.
4) Cork Harbour is said to be the second largest natural harbour in the world, after Sydney Harbour in Australia.
5) Fota Island is one of the biggest islands within Cork and is home to over 80 species and acts as a wildlife reserve and park.